The Finished Work of Christ
1. We have become convinced that we are sinners.
The evidence is overwhelming: Selfishness as the dominant motive in our
nature, Pride, Slothfulness, Lack of Love etc., with many resulting unfavorable acts
called SINS. Lies, Stealing, Coveting, Hating, Lusting, etc...We have not been able to keep
the Ten Commandments. We are sinners, I am sorry to say - its true.
All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
2. We understand that the penalty for sin is DEATH.
God has decided that "The soul which sins, it must die".
The inspired scriptures teach that sin results in eternal death.
This is not good news, but don't stop reading - it gets better. Romans
3. We understand that the Loving Lord Jesus gave his life on Calvary
to pay the FULL PENALTY for our sin.
Jesus was/is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, as Peter clearly stated
- through the spirit. He became the Sinless Lamb of God, who Takes Away the Sins of the World, as John
said.He was completely Forsaken by God in our place, when he died on Golgotha.
His death was the payment for our sins: past, present and future.
This is why He cried out "IT IS FINISHED".
4. We understand that God has promised that any person who places their trust in Jesus will be saved from eternal death.
This is good news! Acts 16:31
God is not asking us to work and earn our salvation by being good, performing
rituals, or doing church activities. The command is to simply to trust Him, and the critical work of Jesus,
which took place when He died on the cross.Whoever believes on Him will not die, but have everlasting life.
"For he has made him to be sin which knew no sin, that we might be the
righteousness of God."
All other human salvation formula are not acceptable to Him, His Son made the way, not us.
5. We rejoice to understand that "we are saved by Grace through Faith, and
not of ourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should
It is God's free gift, not something we earn. (Eph. 2: 8-10)
6 We understand that apart from Christ, we are unable to do any true
good works, and that doing good is an excellent response to God's Grace.
He is the vine and we are the branches. We are able to do the right things for
the right reasons now that we are relying on His saving work instead of on our
7. And so we are trusting in the Finished Work of Christ, and then attempting to express our experience of his Grace by doing things which build a favorable future, on earth, and in the world to come.
Back to top